Lest We Forget: Community Performance Art
As a nation, we are still dealing with the deep psychic trauma of the Civil War and our troubled history. The mission of this performance is to create a more nuanced and open conversation about our history by providing a space wherein people can engage with the Confederate monument through artistic expression. Here's what to expect:
• There will be no physical contact with the actual monument, just a temporary panel to visibly obstruct the Confederate Monument from the Courthouse view. This will serve as the backdrop curtain for the performers.
• A curated program of performance artists (dance, spoken word, music, poetry, etc.)
• A scroll on which attendees can write their own experiences and feelings about the Confederate monument. These will be submitted to each participant’s respective Commissioner.
• AN AFTERPARTY AT MINICINE :)
For avoidance of doubt, here are some guidelines:
• NO SIGNS whatsoever will be allowed. This is performance art, not a rally.
• If you are performing, you will consult the curators beforehand with any questionable material (ex. explicit language or content).
• Attendees will neither direct racial epithets toward nor will you inflict physical violence on any participants.
• Attendees will not interrupt performers during the program.
This is an all-ages event.
*poster by Nathan Treme